Re: [LAD] [ann] CAPS 0.4.5

From: Tim Goetze <tim@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Apr 07 2011 - 20:00:13 EEST

[Stefano D'Angelo]
>2011/4/5 David Robillard <d@email-addr-hidden>:

>> Global identifiers beginning with __ are reserved for the C
>> implementation...

Thanks for pointing that out, David, I'll change the symbol to a plain
and simple "CAPS_version" instead.

>> Might as well just use LADSPA as a prefix instead of CAPS, in case this
>> needs doing somewhere else... though this whole thing is extremely awful,
>> and I really hope that is not the case...
>>
>> Another less awful option would be to somehow add the information to the
>> library that the port is connectionOptional...
>
>Tim, you see? David already suggests to use the LADSPA prefix. :-)

And I have to concur, a standardised way for hosts to query the
version of a plugin library seems a good idea indeed.

>However, I think you could happily avoid doing anything special, I can
>check if the plugin in question (identified by UniqueID) has more
>ports than the current version (this has to be hardcoded into the
>bridge), thus making all ports with index >= the old PortCount
>connectionOptional in LV2 (that means the bridge makes fake
>connections unless the LV2 host does really connect them)... however,
>this is possible if you append the new port(s) to the current ones as
>Dave suggests, otherwise this just can't be handled even in LADSPA
>hosts properly, I suspect.

The new port for the AutoWah plugin will indeed be appended to the
list of input ports; however, it will still precede the audio output,
adhering to the CAPS port order convention which puts inputs before
outputs.

(I'm afraid you'll have to make slight changes to the above algorithm
to make it work in this case, but at first glance it seems you only
need to apply the same method to in- and outputs separately. And I'd
like to apologise again for the trouble caused.)

Cheers, Tim