Re: [LAD] [LAU] FW: Frequency Space Editors in Linux

From: Lorenzo Sutton <lsutton@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Apr 12 2011 - 11:13:26 EEST

Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 09:43:45PM +0200, Lorenzo Sutton wrote:
>> Try Gramofile [1] or Gnome Wave Cleaner [2].
> Both seem to be quite old and it's not clear at all if they
> are still being developed or maintained.
True. Nontheless they are the only ones I'm aware of and have used with
a certain degree of satisfaction.
>> Results will very a lot
>> depending on the source material. There is a noise removal plugin of
>> Audacity, but IMHO it's not great, but let your ears judge.
> It's not clear at all from the original post what kind of 'noise'
> has to be removed. If it is _noise_ (a continuous broadband random
> signal), then frequency domain methods should be able to reduce it.
> If it is _crackle_ (short spikes) then time domain methods will have
> a better chance. Also the remark that the problem only occurs 'while
> the music is playing' adds a bit to the puzzle...
> It would help to know the origin of the the 'noise' or to have a
> sample of it.

My interpretation for noise in this case was the plain English one of
"(a) sound, especially when it is not wanted, unpleasant or loud" [1]
(which is of course disputable) - :)
I am guessing the noise occurring while the music plays may be a result
of some noise gate applied to the source at some stage. Mike may shed
some light on that, maybe making available a section of the material
he'd like to clean...

It occurs to me that I have noticed a similar effect, but the other way
round, in some older films (especially older ones) which were dubbed to
Italian: when no one is speaking there is some background "noise" (e.g.
a street or simply some broadband signal), which dissapears when the
dubbed part comes in as if some kind of ducking was made. The
interesting thing is that the abrupt disappearing and reappearing of the
noise actually makes it more noticeable.

Lorenzo.

[1] http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/british/noise_1