Re: [LAD] [ann] CAPS 0.4.5

From: Tim E. Real <termtech@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Apr 14 2011 - 00:03:45 EEST

On April 13, 2011 02:11:02 pm David Robillard wrote:
> On 12/04/11 06:00 AM, Tim Goetze wrote:
> > [David Robillard]
> >
> >> No, the pragmatic thing to do is not deliberately break your plugin when
> >> several knowledgeable people have pointed out that doing so can cause
> >> countless problems.
> >
> > Again: not the plugin is broken, but the host that assumes the port
> > signature not to change over different plugin versions.
>
> No, a given index on your plugin no longer refers to the same port,
> therefore the interface to the plugin has been broken, period.
But he only wants to add a new port, not change them around or
 remove them, doesn't he? So the indexes are not changing.
So long as this new port comes after all the others, including audio,
 what's the problem? Our MusE can cope, can the others?
I agree that if this new port were to be sandwiched among the others
 or if he were removing ports, that's breakage.
How is a plugin supposed to grow and mature?
I mean the Caps ToneStack gained a few 'model' values over the years.
Did it change unique ID?
Every time he wants to add a new port he's got to change the ID?
So we end up with ten different versions with ten different IDs?
Maybe the others are referring to breaking lrdf (I'm just learning lrdf now).
Or if someone tries to load a song referring to the new plugin version,
 on an older system having the old plugin version.
But I know MusE can still handle that, when loading a song it just ignores
 any port ID out of range of the number of ports.
It's a tough decision I know, I empathize, and if the consensus is that
 the ID should be changed, I guess you gotta do it.
But surely we could accept this small change, can't we?
I mean what, really, would break?

Thanks.
Tim E.