Re: [LAD] Realtime Audio on Android

From: Dave Phillips <dlphillips@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Apr 29 2011 - 18:00:10 EEST

Patrick Shirkey wrote:

> I'm working on a cross platform mobile OS media player and doing some
> research into Realtime audio playback on Android at the moment. It
> seems there is a fairly small amount of info online and a lot less
> fully fledged code examples than available for the iPhone platform.
> For example I have already implemented my demo app in objective-C but
> it looks like it is going to be significantly more effort to do the
> same for Android.
>
> I have found a couple of interesting posts and articles about the
> current state things. Maybe people round here would like to comment on
> the situation?

While I attended a conference at Virginia Tech I sat in on Brad Garton's
demonstration of how he creates applications for the iPhone. All OSX
stuff, of course, but really interesting. I asked him about such a
development environment for the Android but he didn't know of anything
similar for Linux.

> Overview:
>
> http://www.wiseandroid.com/post/2010/07/13/Intro-to-the-three-Android-Audio-APIs.aspx
> http://mindtherobot.com/blog/555/android-audio-problems-hidden-limitations-and-o
> <http://mindtherobot.com/blog/555/android-audio-problems-hidden-limitations-and-opensl-es/>pensl-es/
> <http://mindtherobot.com/blog/555/android-audio-problems-hidden-limitations-and-opensl-es/>

Not looking very good. :(

However, the conference at VT also included a neat presentation by Peter
Kirn in which he demonstrated libpd and its capabilities. IIRC he used
an Android as a synth, but I may be wrong (might have been an iPhone).

Btw, Brad and Peter just about talked me out of getting a Mac. :)

Thanks for the information, Patrick. I wish the situation was better.

Best,

dp