Re: [LAD] RME FIREFACE 400? RME MULTIFACE II?

From: Jonathan Woithe <jwoithe@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun May 22 2011 - 16:24:51 EEST

Jorn wrote:

> the fireface is an ieee1394 device, and the ffado drivers are somewhat
> experimental. so yes, this would be an "issue with linux". i suggest you
> check the ffado.org website and look through the ffado mailing list
> archive to see if the current level of support is sufficient for what
> you want to do.

[ Disclaimer: I am working on the ffado FF400 driver ]

The ffado support for the RME devices is indeed experimental. If you're
interested, head across to www.ffado.org and browse the device support pages
for the latest information. In short, the latest ffado svn revision
contains a driver which should be capable of getting audio into and out of a
FF400 (the FF800 will follow once the FF400 has bedded down). Some device
controls are also available via ffado-mixer (filling in the rest is mostly a
boilerplate coding exercise which I'll do once audio has stabilised). I am
continuing testing myself but early adopters (those who already have a ff400
in most cases) are encouraged to try the driver on their own systems to
provide feedback to me about how the driver performs on a variety of
platforms.

To summarise: support for the RME Fireface 400 under ffado is moving in the
right direction and is ready for interested people to test, but I would not
be saying that it's ready for prime time yet. Having said that, I think the
bulk of the work is now done and I want to move on this as quickly as real
life permits. :-)

Regards
  jonathan