Re: [LAD] RME FIREFACE 400? RME MULTIFACE II?

From: Ralf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Tue May 24 2011 - 00:28:53 EEST

On Mon, 2011-05-23 at 14:09 -0600, Gustin Johnson wrote:
> On Sun, May 22, 2011 at 9:43 PM, Ralf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net> wrote:
> > On Sun, 2011-05-22 at 13:23 -0600, Gustin Johnson wrote:
> >> I would stay away from the Fireface and the multiface (unless you
> >> connect the multiface to another interface).
> >>
> >> FWIW, I have a 9652 PCI card and an RME ADI 8-DS. If I need more
> >> channels there is an Alesis ADAT that I can connect to it, albeit at
> >> only 16/48. It is important to note that the 9652/9652 do not have
> >> any ADC/DACs on them and rely on outboard gear for that.
> >>
> >> This particular rig has been solid and stable for years and has been
> >> in 3 different rigs, the latest being an Intel Sandy bridge. If you
> >> can afford it I highly recommend the RME PCI and PCIe solutions.
> >> Their Firewire solutions have traditionally been the exact opposite
> >> under Linux.
> >
> > Hm? I tries to switch from LAD to LAU, regarding to current user
> > queries, but it failed. Hi Admin [1] ;).
> >
> > Hi Gustin :), hi Ubuntu Studio users list :), pardon LAD ;)
> >
> > IIUC a HDSPe AIO or DSP 9632 is all I need, if I just need a stereo IO?
> > I only need to buy a BF-BOXLRMKH or BF-BOCMKH breakout cable?
>
> There are a number of possible solutions. It sounds like the AIO
> might be what you want, but I would ask someone local if you are
> unsure (in other words, don't just take my word for it).

I did send a request to my dealer. At the moment I tend to buy a 9632
and if I should switch the mobo one day, I perhaps have to replace it by
the AIO, anyway, the 9632 is less expensive. But I'm undecided.

> > If I need additional IOs and wish to avoid Multiface firmware issues, I
> > can add AI4S-192 AIO and AO4S-192 AIO.
> >
> You could add anything that speaks ADAT, assuming you get the PCI/PCIe
> card with ADAT connectors on it.
>
> > If I need much more IOs and don't have enough money for RME IOs, I can
> > e.g. use a BEHRINGER ADA8000 ULTRAGAIN PRO8 DIGITAL by ADAT connection.
> > The sound quality might be less good and I guess this will add extra
> > latency and Ardour won't auto-compensate this extra latency
> > automatically?
> >
> What latency are you talking about? The only latency this adds is
> electrical switching and media conversion + travel time for the
> optical signal + the DAC/ADC. The sound quality of Behringer tends to
> be lower than other solutions, but this should work.

I guess I'll start with just AI4S-192 AIO and AO4S-192 AIO for home
recording. If I should need more channels I'll order a cheap ADAT device
at another time.
More channels might be needed to do rehearsal room recordings, with
cheap microphones, hence the sound quality is less important, "live"
music has an advantage regarding to the feeling compared with home
recording, just for home recording I wish to get the most near
professional sound that is possible by my equipment, but at home I don't
need much channels. 2 for the stereo sum and some to loop in a 19"
reverb or to record drum sounds from a drum module by separated channels
at the same time.

> > As long as I'm using a mobo with PCI slots I can use AI4S-192 AIO and
> > AO4S-192 AIO with a DSP 9632 and when I switch to a mobo with PCIe only
> > I can switch from DSP 9632 to HDSPe AIO and keep AI4S-192 AIO and
> > AO4S-192 AIO (and e.g. a BEHRINGER ADA8000 ULTRAGAIN PRO8 DIGITAL ;)?
>
> This sounds right. If in doubt check with RME. The compatibility of
> the add on boards is listed on this page:
> http://www.rme-audio.de/en_products_hdsp_expansion_boards.php
> >
> > Using a DSP 9632 with a PCIe to PCI bridge doesn't work or at least
> > could cause issues?
> >
> Never heard of such a thing. I would not trust it, but I tend to be
> skeptical of such kludges.

Me too.

Thank you,

Ralf