Re: [LAD] Any package builders here?

From: Robin Gareus <robin@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jun 01 2011 - 15:40:20 EEST

On 06/01/2011 11:50 AM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> Hi :)
>
> could you please add a dependency to audio/MIDI app packages for your
> distros, that will set up real-time usage?

[..incorrect code snippet..]

On Debian, both jack1 and jack2 packages do already include that.

----/etc/security/limits.d/audio.conf----
# Provided by the jackd package.
#
# Changes to this file will be preserved.
#
# If you want to enable/disable realtime permissions, run
#
# dpkg-reconfigure -p high jackd

@audio - rtprio 95
@audio - memlock unlimited
#@audio - nice -19
-------------------8<---------------------

Maybe it's time to notify the debian-mm-team to remove the 'nice' line
instead of commenting it out. OTOH it shows that they are aware that
it's not strictly needed but may come in handy.

> I can't see any reason not do add such a dependency. Or is there a
> good reason not to do?

I suppose it's simply pragmatic.
Pulling this config out into a dedicated package might be a good idea.
However I don't think there's any real-world use-case:

How many audio apps support 'rtprio' directly (without JACK)? ..and how
many pro-audio users do use this software but do not have JACK
installed. I bet the number is zero.

robin