Re: [LAD] Any package builders here?

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Wed Jun 01 2011 - 19:24:12 EEST

On Wed, 2011-06-01 at 18:16 +0200, Dominique Michel wrote:
> Le Wed, 1 Jun 2011 13:49:06 +0200,
> Nick Copeland <nickycopeland@hotmail.com> a écrit :
>

> > I might get flamed for this however GUI should not really be run with
> > rt priority, that is an honour for the DSP engines. There are some
> > reasonable arguments however for leaning on the scheduler with renice
> > for the user interfaces to give them a bit of a bias over other
> > system operations. Admittedly a big topic since the GUI probably sits
> > on top of the windowing system anyway.
> >
> > So I have not used renice on graphics/GUI processes but I have worked
> > on systems where the RT DSP code is happily chewing up 75% of CPU to
> > churn out 32 unified synth voices and the GUI response can then give
> > a bad impression of an application. Renice will help the sometime
> > intensive graphics manipulation code (which is surprisingly close to
> > DSP anyway if you are doing subpixel image transforms with shadow
> > rendering) to get a little more of the now starved system resources.
>
> I think than the wm in use can maybe have an impact on the graphical
> responsiveness. When running a single mono processor, I get up with
> jack at more than 95% CPU, this with gentoo running a rt kernel, fvwm
> and the fvwm-crystal theme. Sometime, the graphical response was a
> little bit slow. A few times, the wm was frozen during one or 2
> seconds, even the cursor. But the audio process in JACK was just fine
> and without any xrun. I was very surprised, this was amazing, like in
> window$, but without the crash -:)
>
> I cannot imagine to do the same with kde or another wm, in fact I don't
> know if it can be possible.
>
> Now, on a multi-processor, I never experimented such a slow down of
> fvwm, but I didn't use jack with such a high load than before.
>
> Dominique

On a weak computer the usage of a frame based environment, e.g. Ion2
does help, switching between a 'usual' DE and a 'lightweight' DE IMO
doesn't make a big difference. On a fast computer IMO we should use the
WM that is best for our work flows. But that's OT ... pardon. I'm queit
now, just wanted to inform about, what I call a 'big problem', the
strange settings for limits.conf.