Re: [LAD] Suil Lv2 UI: Unable to wrap UI type

From: David Robillard <d@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Jun 11 2011 - 06:23:20 EEST

On 10/06/11 02:43 PM, Rui Nuno Capela wrote:
> On 06/10/2011 04:29 PM, Harry Van Haaren wrote:
>> Hey all,
>>
>> I'm having a problem instantiating the UI of the parametric EQ by Nedko
>> & Fons. ( http://nedko.arnaudov.name/soft/lv2fil/trac/wiki/WikiStart )
>>
>> I can instantiate the Invada suite no problem. They have a
>> http://lv2plug.in/ns/extensions/ui#GtkUI type UI & the host is also
>> Gtk.
>>
>> instance = suil_instance_new( suilHost,
>> 0, // pass a pointer to the
>> controller objects here
>> "http://lv2plug.in/ns/extensions/ui#GtkUI", // target UI
>> widget type
>>
>> "http://nedko.aranaudov.org/soft/filter/2/mono", // plugin URI
>> "http://nedko.aranaudov.org/soft/filter/2/gui", // plugin UI URI
>> "http://lv2plug.in/ns/extensions/ui#external", // plugin UI
>> TYPE URI
>> "/usr/lib/lv2/filter.lv2/", //
>> plugin UI bundle
>> "/usr/lib/lv2/filter.lv2/filter.so", //
>> plugin UI binary
>>
>> &featureArray[0]); //
>> supported features by host
>>
>> // get widget of the UI instance
>> SuilWidget widget = suil_instance_get_widget(instance);
>>
>> // add widget to container, casting "SuilWidget" to "GtkWidget*" as
>> the target UI type is ui#GtkUI
>> gtk_container_add (GTK_CONTAINER ( hbox->gobj() ), (GtkWidget*)
>> widget);
>>
>> The error I get (at runtime) is the following:
>> error: get_wrap_module: Unable to wrap UI type
>> <http://lv2plug.in/ns/extensions/ui#external> as type
>> <http://lv2plug.in/ns/extensions/ui#GtkUI>
>> error: suil_instance_new: Failed to instantiate UI
>> <http://nedko.aranaudov.org/soft/filter/2/gui> in
>> /usr/lib/lv2/filter.lv2/filter.so
>>
>> Would anybody shed some light onto what I'm doing wrong?
>> Cheers, -Harry
>>

> i'm affraid you'll have to work it out yourself (as lv2 host) with the
> lv2_exeternal_ui extension, 'coz drobilla's suil won't help you here,
> ever ;)

(Because it is unfortunately not possible, before anyone asks. I do not
recommend any further UIs be implemented for the external UI extension,
which is being phased out, but for now as Rui says hosts (inherently)
have to implement it themselves)

Note a new Suil release will be out very soon, the last round of
releases was broken in the UI department (stupid oops, go me!), you
should use Lilv and Suil from SVN (or just wait a day or two) if you are
implementing this.

Cheers,

-dr