Re: [LAD] Android audio plugins

From: Olivier Guilyardi <list@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jun 30 2011 - 01:10:39 EEST

On 06/29/2011 10:31 PM, Gabriel M. Beddingfield wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Jun 2011, Nick Copeland wrote:
>
>> Perhaps I have missed the point, Android security prevents you
>> accessing resources that you have not been given a priori permission
>> to use to ensure the system cannot be compromised by malicious code.
>> If you want to root your

The permissions system you are talking about is something else.

> Yes, if this can't be overcome[1] then it defeats the purpose of a
> plugin system.
>
> [1] That is, overcome without jail-breaking your device.

to root (jail-break is an iPhone expression ;).

When an app installs, the .so files that it bundles are automatically extracted
to the application data directory. And this directory can be accessed by other
apps. You can directly System.load() it from Java or dlopen() it from C.

It's as simple as that, and according to the discussion I had with Android lead
developers, there's no reason that this changes.

--
  Olivier