Re: [LAD] wiki page: dead projects

From: Renato <rennabh@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jun 30 2011 - 11:08:41 EEST

Hi, thanks to Holger and Robin for the replies

On Wed, 29 Jun 2011 12:10:51 +0200
Robin Gareus <robin@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> The generic way to do this it to simply add the tag "unmaintained" to
> each project, then they'll automatically end up at
>
> http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/apps/categories/unmaintained
>
> Just add {{OTHER TAGS unmaintained}} to the page of the app e.g.
> http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/apps/all/rezound

thanks for pointing this out, didn't know about that page. This is what
I'll do then

> > I'm pretty
> > sure that if in the future it wouldn't compile anymore due for
> > example to some gtk libraries not backwards compatible, someone
> > would pretty fast come up with a patch. So, does it belong to the
> > list? Or should we just change the name to "abandoned projects",
> > and thus even examples like jack-rack would fit in?
>
> For non-generic info, create a wiki page. f.i.
> http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/projects_that_need_loving
> link to the app in question (e.g. [[:apps:all:rezound]]) - and add
> detailed info there.
>
> The :apps:all:* name-space at http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/apps/all/*
> should only contain applications and no custom-pages.
>[...]
> The "development" tag is intended for libraries - handy for
> developers.
>
> I'm in touch with Emanuel Rumpf off-list to update the wiki, re-style
> it and clean out the tag mess.. it's on the top of my ToDo list for
> July/August.

So I'll be deleting the page I created and tagging apps unmaintained
instead... but are you suggesting that a page under /wiki would still
be a good idea? Maybe containing some more detailed explanations than
the "unmaintained" page, like "Kluppe is great but it would greatly
benefit from basic midi support"?
Such a thing could potentially get complicated: shouldn't bugs and
feature requests not pertain the wiki, but the project's pages/authors?

Anyhow, I think the unmaintained page is allready a good resource, I
just think it should be more advertised.

As a more general question to the community, what do you think about
setting up a system where users can donate money for a certain future
to be added to a software (and the devs that do the work get the money)?
The ardour project uses this thing right?
It would be great if such a system could be implemented in a central
place like linuxaudio.org, that way (and with this we get [almost] back
on topic) one could donate money for a dead/unmaintained project to be
resurrected, whereas as it is now I wouldn't know where to donate
money to have say spiral synth modular add a certain future. I think it
would be a nice thing for the community.

What are the pros and cons of such a system?

cheers
renato