Re: [LAD] MeeGo for better handheld/tablet multimedia? (was Re: Android audio plugins)

From: Robin Gareus <robin@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jul 03 2011 - 05:42:32 EEST

On Jul 2, 2011, at 10:46 PM, Niels Mayer wrote:

> Given all the needed Linux dependencies, and the difficulties of
> getting decent audio performance on Android, what about not using
> Android and using good ol' Linux instead?
>
> Specifically, MeeGo on the Nokia N9 (
> https://flors.wordpress.com/2011/06/20/nokia-n9-state-of-the-art-of-mobile-linux-and-qt/
> ). I'm sure that it will be easier to create handheld multimedia
> applications on an in-production and widely-distributed, supported
> product that supports the full stack of libs and development tools
> already in use by the LAD community....

> Fortunately, a bunch of interesting multimedia projects will be
> getting a Nokia N950 to develop applications for the upcoming Nokia N9
> ( see also http://shootspeak.com/2011/06/24/nokia-n9-extra-facts-tidbits-updates/
> ).
>
> The following are excerpted from
> http://wiki.meego.com/Community_Office/Community_device_program/Nokia#Accepted
> as of July 2 2011:
>
> -- Porting Maesynth and Maelophone from N900 Python to QML and C++.
> Stress testing the new Qt Game Enabler to see if we finally have low
> latency audio support in Qt. Will also look to see if we can get midi
> sample support via Wild Midi or equivalent.
>
> -- Porting FunkeySynth, a MeeGo Tablet synthesizer to Harmattan
> http://sandst1.wordpress.com/
>
> -- Develop an audio recording application with geo-location support,
> plus other applications to improve personal productivity utilising the
> Harmattan notification/event view.
>
> -- Develop FM RDS applications with focus in the new standards from
> RadioDNS like the RadioVIS (partly based in the already existent the
> N900-fmvis http://code.google.com/p/n900-fmvis/). I'm a member of a
> university radio station (Radio Muda FM, 88.5MHz) and my plan is to
> develop "real life" radio station applications.

You may be interested in "airtime"
http://www.sourcefabric.org/en/products/airtime_overview/

> I'll also rewrite an application I did for audio streaming, darknow (a
> gui for darkice, http://darksnow.radiolivre.org) which is an icecast2
> client, and also write an audio/video icecast2 client (based in a
> software I did called theorur, http://theorur.sarava.org), all using
> QT.

Theorur is a GUI for Ogg/Theora streaming, written using gtk2, under GLPv2, by Rafael Diniz.

http://wiki.theartcollider.org/tools/qiph is a thin QT frontend
to ffmpeg2theora & oggfwd - source as well as binaries for OSX, win32 and GNU/Linux
are avail for download.

> -- Porting XBMC + MeeGo TV stuff + doing audio continuums using pulseaudio.
>
> -- Creating a Libre.fm radio client and porting Jokosher to small
> screen devices.
>
> -- Meex, a portable DJing application http://jenkins.vitaminj.co.uk/job/meex/
>
> -- Porting Amarok to tablets and handsets running MeeGo/Harmattan.
>
> -- Developing an audio player to access to more than 47 000 webradios
> referenced on AOL shoutcast (by name, genre, current track)
>
> -- Panucci - Resuming audiobook and podcast player
>
> -- http://mediadownloader.cz.cc/?page_id=2
>
> -- LinuxMCE is a next generation smart home platform encompassing
> media, home automation, telecom, and security features.
> http://www.linuxmce.org/
>
> -- Porting Flumotion an open source streaming solution to Harmattan
> taking advantage of the hardware encoding and the camera
>
> -- magnus-plus photo: an application that combines a camera-based
> magnifier with more advanced image processing techniques
>
> -- Photographer's application suite (SnapGo, currently) to include
> feature like a light meter and GPS track recording.
>
> -- And last, but not least, I'm Looking forward to getting mine soon.
> :-) [For: http://wiki.meego.com/tubelet-and-cutetube-port and
> http://code.google.com/p/ytd-meego/wiki/CitizenJournalismWithYoutubeDirectForMeego
> ]

sounds like you'll be busy for a while :)
have fun,
robin

> Niels
> http://nielsmayer.com
>
> PS: As long as floating-point limited CPU's (ARM) are the norm among
> mobile processors, there may be a final calling for really complicated
> audio synthesis to be done entirely with integer arithmetic. Which may
> necessitate a different and more monolithic architecture -- one where
> everything is done/controled in&by the application itself, as opposed
> to using jack. Given the limited screen real estate available, how
> much can you expect to successfully control and mix simultaneously
> anyways?
>
> PPS: The successful apps figure out dedicated gestural/haptic/vocal
> interfaces to control all the knobs-and-dials underneath, e.g..
> http://smule.com/ 's http://ocarina.smule.com/ (see
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHtCAAj8jFI ).
>
> PPPS: speaking of having a complete "Linux" stack , what about WebOS
> and the HP Touchpad? http://www.wired.com/reviews/2011/06/hp-touchpad/

tl;dr