Re: [LAD] Feature requests: add JackSession support

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jul 03 2011 - 23:14:37 EEST

On Sun, Jul 03, 2011 at 12:32:53PM -0400, Paul Davis wrote:

> sure, which right now is not a separate function at all, but merely a
> branch of the "finish" function. not exactly a huge amount of work to
> split it out, but indicative of the complete (and understandable)
> design assumption "there's no way to get here except via the GUI".
>
> otoh, you're right, in the sense that quit-WITH-save is even more
> complex, and faces all the same issues with threading etc, only more
> so because it actually has data to save etc. etc.

'Save' is also available from the Session menu, so I assume
it is a separate function. Then all you need for 'Quit-
without-save' is to skip it, which means one if().

Quite unrelated to all of this, I do have a question
about Ardour's 'Save' semantics.

There are:

(1) 'Save'
(2) 'Save as'
(3) 'Snapshot'

and

(4) 'Periodic safety backups' (option)

and

(5) the 'save' as performed by 'Quit' or closing the main
window, in case "Save and quit" is selected from the dialog.

How do they all interact ? I could possibly find out with
some hours of experimentation, but I assume this has been
defined (and maybe documented) somehow.

In particular:

- Is there any difference between (2) and (3) except that
the one suggests a name and the other doesn't ? For both
the dialog says 'Name of New Snapshot'.

- After (2) or (3) what does (1) do ? Overwrite the last
snapshot, or use the original session name ?

- After (2) or (3) what does (4) do ?

- After (2) or (3) what does (5) do ?

This matters a lot if starting from a the same session you
make different versions of it, e.g. a stereo mix, a surround
mix, and 'tapes' for a live performance (in particular this
one tends to be very differerent).

Or put otherwise, is a snapshot made by (2) or (3) guaranteed
not to modified later by (1), (4), (5), or not ?

Thanks in advance for clarifying this !

--
FA