Re: [LAD] Feature requests: add JackSession support

From: Devin Anderson <devin@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jul 04 2011 - 00:32:56 EEST

On Sun, Jul 3, 2011 at 1:07 PM, Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 3, 2011 at 3:59 PM, Devin Anderson <devin@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>
>> I'm curious about what you might have done differently if you knew
>> then what you know now.
>
> what *should* have happened was a plugin API that as many developers
> as now use JACK would have agreed to adopt.

I guess the easy thing to say here is that LV2 *could* be that API,
but I don't see the same amount of interest in LV2 that there is in
JACK. Maybe I'm wrong.

> what could have happened was something like JACK.

JACK has a lot of useful, non-trivial functionality that isn't going
to be found in a plugin API (hardware interfacing, moving audio/MIDI
around safely and efficiently, etc.). Perhaps a host API would be
just as helpful.

> politics is the art of the possible.

Indeed.

--