Re: [LAD] Feature requests: add JackSession support

From: rosea grammostola <rosea.grammostola@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jul 11 2011 - 11:49:27 EEST

On 07/11/2011 12:16 AM, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 10, 2011 at 05:08:32PM +0200, rosea grammostola wrote:
>
>> After spending a week using JackSession, I don't think a
>> quit-without-save option should be a 'showstopper' here Fons. Especially
>> because JackSession makes working with JACK so much easier. Better to
>> have JackSession without a quit-without-save option, then no JackSession
>> at all.
> In other circumstances I'd call that a pragmatic tradeoff.
> But since you're not offered the choice it's not even that.
>
> There is no good reason to omit quit-without-save. I regard
> any app that doesn't offer it as fundamentally broken, and
> the same applies to whatever higher level system controlling
> apps.
I use fluxbox, and this shortcut closes all windows for me (having
qjackctl in the system tray) ;)

Mod4 Shift a :CloseAllWindows

Sorry, but I can't dive in the technical discussion. The only thing I
can say as a user is that I think Torben did a good job so far.
JackSession kills a lot of disadvantages when it comes to working with
JACK, especially when creating music. I do understand that people might
have good reasons for not working on / supporting something they think
is wrong. The question is whether this missing quit-without-save
function makes JackSession wrong enough to not support it, also
considering the obvious benefits Linuxaudio users have when applications
support JackSession.

It might be good if Torben joins the discussion about the good and the
bad and the missing things of JackSession at the moment (see also
message by Emanuel).

Kind regards,
\r