[LAD] Hardware audio decoder driver design

From: Nikita V. Youshchenko <yoush@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jul 25 2011 - 21:54:03 EEST

Hello.

Soon I will work on a linux kernel driver for a custom audio decoder device
that is being developed by a company I work for. If not going into
details, that devices reads A52-encoded stream from system memory, and
writes raw pcm stream to system memory.

Simplest thing to do is - implement a character device, where user-space
will write encoded stream, and from where user-space will read decoded
stream.
(driver for similar hardware, located at
http://sourceforge.net/projects/vs10xx/, does that).

However, perhaps a better architecture (e.g. in-kernel intergation with an
audio sink) is possible?

I'm looking for any related information - e.g. ideas on what interface to
implement, examples of drivers for similar devices, etc.

Thanks on any hints.

Nikita Youshchenko,
embedded linux developer.