Re: [LAD] Testdriven development with JACK?

From: Gabriel Beddingfield <gabrbedd@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jul 28 2011 - 06:34:53 EEST

On 07/27/2011 09:04 PM, Paul Davis wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 9:40 PM, Gabriel Beddingfield
> <gabrbedd@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>
>> The mock library wouldn't necc. /work/... just simply do just enough for
>> testing.
>
> you have to define "testing" for that to be viable.
>
> suppose you want to test internal client latency or data "movement"
> that relies on JACK port connectivity.
>
> this pretty much requires a working libjack that does everything
> except talk to a real backend. aka jackd -d dummy
>
> remember that "time" is an important component of any code that uses a
> JACK-like API. a test framework has to replicate the periodic nature
> of it, at the very least, even if its not RT-ish.

Very true. I was envisioning that a thread would start and act as the
jack server.

I also considered adding logic to detect if the application violated
rules. (E.g. "this function may only be called from the process
callback." ... like jack_last_frame_time())

As you've suggested to me in the past... one way that this could be
hacked up quickly is to link to have the test program link to
libjackserver.so -- thus becoming jackd.

-gabriel