Re: [LAD] LAD] RT-Safe UI/Engine Decoupling using Functional

From: Florian Paul Schmidt <mista.tapas@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Aug 07 2011 - 00:26:32 EEST

On 08/06/2011 10:55 PM, Jeff McClintock wrote:
> I'm just in the process of porting my plugin to a platform where the GUI
> runs on Windows, but the Audio processing runs on an real-time optimized
> Linux box.
> With the proliferation of iPads etc, I see this approach of mixing a cool
> portable GUI with a Linux 'powerhouse' audio processor become more common in
> studios.
> Surly passing functors (which are pointers?) to audio code running in a
> separate address space can not work?

No, a functor (in c++-speak) is an object that has operator() and thus
behaves in a way like a function (thus the suggestive name).. But you
are right, with boost::bind you can _easily_ create functors that call
preexisting functions (or member functions). And this is done via the
address of the function.. And yeah, I think you are right about your
assumption. For sending commands to another address space you don't get
around serialization in some form, since you cannot just point the other
process to the address of a function and tell it to run that function..
The different processes don't have this intricate knowledge of each other..

Now if C++ had some decent introspection calling a method in another
process space might be more easily done (or rather: the serialization
would become much simpler), but alas C++ lacks in that respect..

Regards,
Flo