Re: [LAD] Inter thread Communication: Design Approach

From: David Robillard <d@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Sep 01 2011 - 23:33:05 EEST

On Thu, 2011-09-01 at 15:54 -0400, Paul Davis wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 1, 2011 at 2:37 PM, Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>
> > That's assuming that the event's virtual execute() has access to
> > all it needs. In all cases I've encountered that is not the case:
> > the event triggers something in the context where it is received
> > and processing it requires access to that context's data.
> > It's a problem for which I don't know a clean C++ solution.
>
> depending on the exact type of thing you're talking about, isn't this
> is place for closures, functors, etc. etc. ?

The event pretty much is a glorified closure, but, alas, the multiple
contexts of execution complicate it so you have to manually store what
are actually the 'parameters' and such so you can do the work later.

In less primitive languages you might be able to do something nice with
actual closures and continuations, but... oh well.

-dr