Re: [LAD] AMS to Ingen: VC to PCM

From: Gabriel Beddingfield <gabrbedd@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Sep 25 2011 - 16:53:50 EEST

On 09/25/2011 05:10 AM, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 25, 2011 at 09:52:23AM +0100, Aurélien Leblond wrote:
>
>> I'm porting the AMS internal modules to LV2 plugins to be used in Ingen.
>>
>> Small problem is, AMS uses VC (even the output of the VCOs that
>> produce sound) when Ingen uses PCM...
>
> ?? You seem to be confusing some things.
[snip]

> 2. Control in/out ports. These are technically identical to
> audio ports (full sample rate), but the signals carried
> on them are normally not meant to be audio. How they are
[snip]

> 3. Input ports corresponding to GUI widgets. These are control rate,
> read once per block. They can be int or float. For continuous values
[snip]

And I think part of the confusion is that LV2 calls #3 a "control port",
and doesn't currently have anything like #2.

On 09/25/2011 03:52 AM, Aurélien Leblond wrote:
> So far, my research seems to lead that a simple multiplication by 16
> of the VC output should convert it to PCM, and vice-versa.
> That doesn't seem right though, as I would think the sample rate
> should be involved in this conversion!

If your the same dude I met on IRC doing this exact same thing... you
misunderstood what was said about 16. I was saying that[1] I've heard
that sometimes people implement CV ports at 1/16th the audio sample
rate. However it's simpler to just stick with the audio sample rate.

Also, in old-style analog synths the CV signal correspends to 1
Volt/octave and has a range (0.0, +inf).[2] In contrast, floating point
audio has a range of [-1.0, 1.0]. There is no relationship between a
control voltage signal (e.g. the position of a fader) and a PCM audio
signal.

-gabriel

[1] ...based on my understanding of some discussions here
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CV/Gate