[LAD] Internally representing pitch : A new approach

From: <harryhaaren@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Oct 02 2011 - 16:18:38 EEST

Hey Everybody,

I've been thinking about the "best" way to represent tonality & pitch in
software. AFAIK most software implements thier "internal workings" as MIDI
messages. This seems a clean easy solution, pass around 3 values and the
whole Engine is sorted. But what if one wants to expand on the
possibilities of MIDI, and not confine oneself to the 127 notes that are
available, but rather allow the use of *any* tuning, pitch or scale.

Scala seems pretty much designed to handle this kind of situation, and
while I can read the example .scl files, I can't find any example "host" or
simple example program to guide me along in how to use it...
So that's the question here really, how does one go about it? -Harry