Re: [LAD] [OT] RIP Dennis Ritchie

From: Philipp Überbacher <hollunder@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Oct 13 2011 - 13:20:39 EEST

Excerpts from Lorenzo Sutton's message of 2011-10-13 11:23:28 +0200:
> It seems Dennis Ritchie [1] passed away last week end.
> He was the inventor of the C programming language and core developer of
> UNIX.
>
> I guess we are all relying in some way or another on this man's research
> and inventions in our 'contemporary computer lives'.
>
> Lorenzo.
>
> [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dennis_Ritchie

I just read it as well. I guess everyone has to go sometime, but it
always hurts more if you build on the persons work.
For me "The C Programming Language" is one of the best books I ever
read because of its clear style and lack of redundancy. I don't know
whether this was primarily his or Brian Kernighans doing.
I guess he really was one of the most influential computer scientists.

May he rest in peace