Re: [LAD] prototyping callback based architecture in python?

From: Kjetil Matheussen <k.s.matheussen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Nov 02 2011 - 15:24:06 EET

Paul Davis:
> On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 12:23 AM, Iain Duncan <iainduncanlists@email-addr-hidden>
> wrote:
>> Hi, I'm working on an a project that I intend to do using the STK in a
>> callback style, but am hoping I can prototype the architecture in python
>> until I've figured out the various components and their responsibilities
>> and
>> dependencies. Does anyone know of any kind of python library ( or
>> method? )
>> that would let me simulate the way callback based STK apps using RTAudio
>> work? IE I want to have a python master callable that gets called once
>> per
>> audio sample and has a way of sending out it's results to the audio
>> subsystem.
>>
>> I've found a bunch of python audio libs but it doesn't seem like they
>> work
>> that way, maybe I'm missing something?
>
> the obvious choices would be the python wrappers for JACK and/or
> PortAudio.
>
> note, however, that the chances of using Python for per-sample
> processing at low latency without intense dropouts are low.

Actually, since Python has an incremental garbage collector,
it should in theory only require replacing the memory allocator with a
real time
memory allocator to make Python pretty hard real time capable. I think.

I also think I remember someone using Python for real time sample
by sample signal processing in Pd...

Efficiency is another story though