Re: [LAD] prototyping callback based architecture in python?

From: Kjetil Matheussen <k.s.matheussen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Nov 04 2011 - 20:20:23 EET

> Thanks guys, it looked from what I could see on the port audio page that
> only non-blocking was supported, but Gary said on the stk list that it
> might be possible with the python wrappers in the rtaudio package. I
> realize it's probably not going to be practical as a long term solution (
> though I sure with it were possible ) but as I actually earn my living
> coding python and am a total C++ amateur, it's probably worth saving some
> frustration figuring out architecture in a python prototype. I'm ok with
> high latency for now.
>
> Kjetil, do you know if anyone has experimented with a real time memory
> allocator for Python?

No, I don't know.
Are you sure you need to use Python? There are other high level languages
letting you do this, which are much faster than Python.
LuaAV for Lua is the most obvious since Lua is the same
type of language as Python. Other alternatives I know of are Faust,
Kronos (if it's available now) and Snd-RT.
(Of those last three, you should look at Faust first.)