Re: [LAD] RAUL?

From: Iain Duncan <iainduncanlists@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Nov 14 2011 - 20:45:19 EET

On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 10:28 AM, Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hiddenwrote:

> On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 1:12 PM, Iain Duncan <iainduncanlists@email-addr-hidden>
> wrote:
>
> > HI Dave, I would def be more interested in checking it out if it were
> LGPL
> > or MIT or somesuch. As I'm sure you know, Csound went LGPL a number of
> years
> > ago now, and that definitely increased uptake in the long run. Like
> Harry, I
> > just never know what use I might put some code to, so have a bit of a
> > kneejerk be-careful reaction to GPL.
>
> just to be clear, CSound went LGPL *from* the ridiculous "MIT
> educational license". that was a license that made its source code all
> but unusable (and at the very least, extremely unclear as to its
> usability).

Yes, the old csound license was a source of pain and agnst for sure. I just
meant to point out that LGPL was chosen specifically so that the engine &
new API could be used in commercial products, and I think that has been a
really good move. I'm sure that the csound~ object for Max resulted in a
lot of interest, and I expect Csound For Live to do the same.

iain