Re: [LAD] "bleeding edge html5" has interesting Audio APIs

From: gene heskett <gheskett@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Nov 22 2011 - 18:28:36 EET

On Tuesday, November 22, 2011 11:06:43 AM Fons Adriaensen did opine:

> On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 09:55:31AM -0500, Egor Sanin wrote:
> > If you are aware of the different behaviour, and still use the slider,
> > you want to change the current value.
>
> I may want to explore the effect of a change and return to the
> original value.

A valid point.

> > If you don't want to change the current value, don't touch the slider.
>
> Very easily done accidentally in a dense layout.

This, IMO is operator error. That doesn't mean that an interface can't be
coded up that encourages such though. :(

> > If you want finer control of your parameters, there are different
> > approaches.
>
> This is not necessarily about finer control, but about having
> 'preferred' parameter values (e.g. semitones for an oscillator
> frequency). This should always be possible without having to type
> numbers.

In which case a 2nd multi-selector might be needed, to switch between a
tempered scale and a non-tempered scale, in such a manner that its global
and pinned to A=440.

That exposes the need for a tune in "cents" button that applies globally
also, to tune it to accompany for instance a pipe organ which is not being
played at the same ambient temps as when the organ constructor last tuned
it. It also assumes he had an adequate std reference much better than a
tuning fork. Sadly, many who pass therm selves off as organ techs, don't.
But that is also not Germain to this thread.

This need for more buttons can be carried to extreme silliness of course
but the point is at least semi valid.

This is an interesting thread, made moreso by FA's injections, do carry on.

Referring to the .png image previous in this thread, limiting the colors
used to a greyscale personally detracts from the 'eye candy' aspect. But
that is just me.

> Ciao,

Cheers, Gene

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
My uncle was the town drunk -- and we lived in Chicago.
		-- George Gobel