Re: [LAD] RFC: LV2 state

From: Philipp Überbacher <hollunder@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Nov 24 2011 - 14:45:40 EET

Excerpts from David Robillard's message of 2011-11-23 20:26:49 +0100:
> Here is the current version of the LV2 state extension, which defines
> the model for plugin state, and a mechanism for saving and restoring it:
>
> http://lv2plug.in/ns/ext/state
>
> It's time to tag this one as stable, unless anyone can see any issues
> (i.e. speak now, or forever hold your peace). If anyone has the time to
> give it a quick read-through, feedback would be appreciated. I have
> done a lot of work on the documentation lately, hopefully everything
> should be clear.
>
> This is currently implemented in Ardour 3 SVN, QTractor SVN, and a patch
> for LinuxSampler SVN is available here:
>
> http://drobilla.net/files/linuxsampler_lv2_state_0_4.diff
>
> Thanks,
>
> -dr

The obvious question is: are there plugins where the state is not
completely described by their port values? I guess Rudolf 556 could be
such a thing. Any lv2 sampler would likely need to store paths and
wouldn't usually expose them (I guess). They'd simply need a different
extension. The question is whether there are many such cases in
existence.

Also regarding paths, what about windows paths and stuff like that? As
far as I understand the extension, the plugin stores any kind of path,
a host would need to handle the conversion from one path format to
another, correct?

I'm pretty much talking out of my arse here.. just to break the silence
:)

Regards,
Philipp