Re: [LAD] sliders/fans

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Nov 24 2011 - 23:24:29 EET

On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 10:03:47PM +0100, Nick Copeland wrote:

> Wow. Isn't this a far bigger topic?

Agreed, yes. But I was replying to your suggestion that
the translation of 'widget value' to 'actual parameter
value' would always be the task of the model or DSP code.
That is in general not the case if what the model or DSP
code sees is a combination of widget values. If these don't
combine in a linear way (as in my example, due to the 'off'
exception) then at least part of the interpretation of the
widget values must be done at the point they are combined.

> There are some interfaces that expect fixed pixel steps for their controls,
> the interfaces are not 'resizable'. Others are. I think it might be difficult
> to impose semantic meaning of any given chance in the interface guide
> for that and probably a few other reasons.

I'd say that if the widget can be resized or modified in any way
that affects its resolution then it should not be controlling
anything that depends on the availability of certain discrete
values (such as e.g. oscillator frequencies in a synth). If it
does, that is IMHO a design error. It's like having an elastic
tape measure - it's OK for it to be elastic, but the cm or inch
tick marks must remain at a fixed distance :-)

Ciao,

--
FA
Vor uns liegt ein weites Tal, die Sonne scheint - ein Glitzerstrahl.