Re: [LAD] New stuff: zita-dpl

From: Jörn Nettingsmeier <nettings@email-addr-hidden-hochschule.de>
Date: Mon Dec 05 2011 - 13:20:24 EET

On 12/05/2011 12:22 AM, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> First release of zita-dpl1. Look-ahead digital peak limiter.
> 1-16 channels (highest one determines gain reduction).
>
> More at<http://kokkinizita.linuxaudio.org/linuxaudio>.

excellent, thanks!

builds and runs fine, will probably be using it for real before the end
of the week. can i suggest two small extensions?

* it would be great to have the input gain displayed numerically in the
display as well - i need to document my sessions so that i can always
revisit them in case the client requests changes. now i could just make
a screenshot (as i do for zita-rev1, which works because small
deviations in setup don't have dramatic effects), but for limiting, i
need absolute precision and 100% reproducible settings. trivial patch is
attached.

* i'm assuming you are looking at the maximum level of all channels, and
then apply the same amount of gain reduction to each of them. certainly
the way to go in speaker-based mixes. but as i already mentioned over
that coffee at ICSA, do you think it could be useful to add an ambisonic
mode which would apply the gain reduction only to the component that's
actually over? my hope is that the result is more subtle, because only
the source sharpness would change slightly, and with b-format, there is
no danger of irritating jumps of the source...

best,

jörn