Re: [LAD] Replaygain for video?

From: Robin Gareus <robin@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Dec 11 2011 - 15:27:35 EET

On 12/11/2011 01:19 PM, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 11, 2011 at 12:49:10PM +0100, Robin Gareus wrote:
>
>> For comparison, ebur128 reported:
>> Loundness-range 19.1 LU; Peak 6.7 LU for the Chaplin movie.
>> and
>> Loundness-range 11.3 LU; Peak 15.3 LU for the youtube video,
>
> ?? ebur128 does not report anything called 'Peak' in LU.

No it does not. "Momentary max" did not fit in the line w/o line break
in my mailer :)

> The relevant values are the first two: 'Integrated loudness'
> and 'Loudness range'. The first should determine any gain
> correction, the second can be used to decide if some com-
> pression would help.
>
> The last two, 'Momentary max' and 'Short term max' (I guess
> one of these is what you call 'Peak') are for information
> only and should not be used for the purpose discussed in
> this thread.

Thanks for the clarification. So let me correct that:

The Great dictator DVD has an
 Integrated Loudness of 4.1 LU, Loudness Range 19.1 LU.

and 'Music for one appart. and 6 drummers' from you-tube:
 Integrated Loudness: 12.9 LU, Loudness Range 11.3 LU

Both are already normalized to 0 dbFS.

Checking some more, revealed that you-tube does not actually normalize
audio volume automatically: e.g.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJMEvDu0K2E peaks at -16.5 dbFS
 Integrated Loudness: -1.7 LU, Loudness Range 9.9 LU

> Updates of ebur128 will show only the first two, unless
> you explicitly ask for the others as well.
>
> Ciao,

Cheers!
robin