[LAD] More midi related questions

From: gene heskett <gheskett@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Dec 13 2011 - 23:31:13 EET

Greetings all;

Still trying to sort reasons why a java app can't access the midi synth in
my sound card.

From an aplaymidi -l:
[root@email-addr-hidden modprobe.d]# aplaymidi -l
 Port Client name Port name
 14:0 Midi Through Midi Through Port-0
 16:0 SB Audigy 2 Value [SB0400] Audigy MPU-401 (UART)
 16:32 SB Audigy 2 Value [SB0400] Audigy MPU-401 #2
 17:0 Emu10k1 WaveTable Emu10k1 Port 0
 17:1 Emu10k1 WaveTable Emu10k1 Port 1
 17:2 Emu10k1 WaveTable Emu10k1 Port 2
 17:3 Emu10k1 WaveTable Emu10k1 Port 3

Can I make the inference that a .mid file sent to 14:0 should find its way
to one of the 17:n ports? It only works if I -s to 17:0(thru 3)

Java, by its scanning methods, finds a huge list of ports, but only the
semi-broken, internal to java, synth actually makes a noise.

If I switch to amidi -l, the list is a bit shorter:
Dir Device Name
IO hw:0,0 Audigy MPU-401 (UART)
IO hw:0,1 Audigy MPU-401 #2
IO hw:0,2 Emu10k1 Synth MIDI (16 subdevices)
IO hw:0,3 Emu10k1 Synth MIDI (16 subdevices)

but sending a midi file to the latter pair, while taking the normal play
time for the file, is also silent. KMix gain is turned up quite a ways.

From the lengthy output of amixer contents:
numid=7,iface=MIXER,name='Synth Playback Volume'
  ; type=INTEGER,access=rw---R--,values=2,min=0,max=100,step=0
  : values=72,72
  | dBscale-min=-40.00dB,step=0.40dB,mute=1

But since aplaymidi works, I'm confused, does mute=1 mean it is live, not
off?

When java scans for synths, I get at the end of the listing, a
realtime_synth as device #68 in base 0. But I haven't a clue if that is
the audigy2's synths, but its silent in any event.

The target here is to somehow link this so the java system can actually use
the hardware synths in an Audigy2 Value card. But any attempt to send to a
(hw0:0) thru (hw0:3) path is silent, however aplaymidi always uses the same
amount of time to send the file.

Suggestions of what to check next?, please as I am lost in whatever
translations actually take place because there seems to be 2 different
methods of accessing a device and I can't find how they correlate.

Thank you.

Cheers, Gene

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
"The Amiga is the only personal computer where you can run a multitasking
operating system and get realtime performance, out of the box."
-- Peter da Silva