[LAD] handling midi input in a jack app?

From: Iain Duncan <iainduncanlists@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Dec 28 2011 - 20:46:29 EET

Hey folks, what is the easiest way to deal with midi input in a jack app?
I'm confused by the difference in jack midi and alsa midi, because I have
two midi inputs, one is a usb input, so it appears at a low level as an
alsa device, but the other is the midi input on a firewire unit, and it
appears as a jack midi device. I'd like to make sure that whatever I do is
easy to port to other systems. Does it make sense to use portmidi or rtmidi
to get input or should I stick to the jack api entirely?

thanks
Iain