[LAD] Ambisonic Effect processing

From: Harry van Haaren <harryhaaren@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jan 11 2012 - 02:07:45 EET

Hi everyone,

I'm currently thinking about how to process B-format ambisonic signals.
For basic compression, gating, expanding, limiting etc things are
relatively simple: process all 4 of the W,X,Y and Z signals.

But what bout effects like Reverb: Should that effect only be applied to
the W signal? This will change the signal's direction due to the
unrelated-ness between the signals. But appling reverb to the directional
components will smear any sudden changes in location, or am I missing
something here?

I'm applying most effects in mono before doing the B-format encode, perhaps
all effects like reverb should be placed before that encoding?

Open to theory, experience, guesstimates etc :)
-Harry