Re: [LAD] rt-kernel and nvidia graphic card

From: Charles Henry <czhenry@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jan 30 2012 - 18:53:07 EET

On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 10:40 AM, Dominique Michel
<dominique.michel@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have an asus amd64 PC with a nvidia GeForce 8800 GT graphic card. This
> PC is working fine with the gentoo-kernel and the nvidia proprietary
> kernel module.
>
> I want to experiment with the rt-kernel. It is 3 modules for the
> nvidia card.
>
> - The nvidia proprietary module, I guess that this is not necessarily a
>  good choice because it will not be patched for use with the rt-kernel.
>  But I am not sure.
>
> - The 2 others are with the kernel, nv and nouveau.
>
> Which module will be best to use with the rt-kernel?
>
> Ciao,
> Dominique

I have had difficulty using the CUDA development driver versions with
the rt-kernel. That version requires having some locks in the kernel
that aren't allowed in the rt-kernel (my synopsis--might not be
entirely correct).

I only use the proprietary nvidia module with non-rt kernels, and I
use nv or nouveau with rt-kernels. I will be interested to know if
other people know how to use the proprietary nvidia kernel module with
an rt kernel.

Chuck