Re: [LAD] DrMr: a new lv2 sampler/drum machine plugin

From: Sebastian Moors <mauser@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Feb 17 2012 - 19:01:05 EET

Nick Lanham wrote:
> On 02/14/2012 06:49 PM, thijs van severen wrote:
>> i must say that i agree with Sebastian (yes, i am biased ;-) You
>> might end up rewriting a part hydrogen. Maybe not at first, but
>> gradually the number of feature requests will go up and you might end
>> up doing duplicate work. There is nothing wrong with that of course,
>> but it just doesnt seem like the most efficient way to go.
>> On the other hand i am also _very_ much a fan of the plugin model
>> rather than individual apps that are glued together using some type
>> of session manager...
>> I'm no programmer, and i do realize that it takes more than a
>> one-liner to but -allow me to dream for a second- would it not be
>> great if we could combine the effort that goes into various apps that
>> all do more-or-less the same thing ?
>> grtz
>> Thijs
>
> Yes, I'm very aware that I'm duplicating a certain amount of hydrogen
> effort here. I'd love it if hydrogen had a nice api to plug it into a
> module like this, and I know there's already an effort to turn
> hydrogen into an lv2 plugin (composite). However, the sad fact is
> that at the moment, there's nothing that fills the niche the DrMr is
> in (composite is similar but has no real control interface). So yeah,
> a libhydrogen would be great, with all the code to read hydrogen files
> and load up drum kit data, and somehow play/process samples, and DrMr
> and Hydrogen and anything else could share that, but I somehow don't
> see that coming anytime soon (unless someone who knows the hydrogen
> codebase better than I wants to tackle it).
Hi Nick!

You're always invited to discuss the technical details on the hydrogen
development list, as i think they don't really belong here.
We have already a very modular architecture, and i believe that it would
be possible to create a shared lib for the reading of drumkits without
big trouble. The playing/processing samples part is definitely more
complicated.
- Sebastian