Re: [LAD] [ANN] Qtractor 0.5.4 - Echo Victor shouts out!

From: Emanuel Rumpf <xbran@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Mar 04 2012 - 12:50:43 EET

Am 4. März 2012 11:14 schrieb J. Liles <malnourite@gmail.com>:
> On Sat, Mar 3, 2012 at 11:14 PM, Emanuel Rumpf <xbran@web.de> wrote:

>> There should at least be an accepted, standardized
>> way for transmission of MIDI data over OSC !
>>
>> I've started a draft:
>> http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/user/emrum/midi-osc-map
>>

> Yes, OSC is useless as it comes out of the box. So is TCP. So is
> access to audio hardware. It's a transport mechanism. Look to
> libmapper for a way to make it generally useful.  I've implemented
> something similar for useful OSC signaling in Non-*, but it's
> conceptually the same as libmapper and (currently imaginary) JACK OSC
> ports. Generic Input and output signals which can be connected to one
> another without requiring each party to be separately configured. And,
> for the record, liblo defines a MIDI datatype for transport of midi
> over OSC--although I don't see much point to doing that, as

> it merely combines the deficiencies of both.
True somehow.

OTOH if most applications would have a
_standardized_ mechanism to support musical control over OSC,
there would be a small chance, that OSC could replace MIDI
somewhere in the future.

The chance for MIDI to improve seems very low, due to its technical limits.
IRC Yamaha as an improved MIDI format for their digital pianos,
but I wouldn't call that a standard.

--
E.R.