[LAD] LV2 specification packaging

From: David Robillard <d@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Mar 22 2012 - 05:47:34 EET

Hi all,

Pretty strong consensus is that the LV2 specs being a bunch of packages
is a nuisance. So, I plan to start releasing them all in one package.

People have asked for this, but I'm not positive it's what they want.
The main odd consequence would be packages checked by configure scripts
(via pkg-config) will not correlate with tarballs. For example, a
program may check for lv2-state-2.4 but no tarball with that name will
actually exist. It will be in lv2-everything-2012-03-21 or whatever.
It would be difficult to correlate which version of lv2-everything
contains a recent enough version of what you need, if something is
failing to configure.

I don't think it's feasible or wise to mash everything in to one package
right down to the pkg-config level, but I'm open to arguments otherwise.
Extensions are independently versioned so changes to them don't affect
the version of others. In all the ways that count, extensions are
completely decentralized and separate (anyone can make one and
distribute it, or not, on their own), but maybe that doesn't mean they
need to be packaged that way?

In short, I am ready and willing to reshape the packaging to make life
easy and to ease adoption as much as possible, but nobody has come up
with exactly what that is. All suggestions welcome, including blatant
"this is all ridiculous crap and you should just <painfully simple
approach here>" kind of thoughts...

Cheers,

-dr