Re: [LAD] Non Session Management

From: rosea.grammostola <rosea.grammostola@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Mar 26 2012 - 18:15:38 EEST

On 03/26/2012 05:51 PM, Louigi Verona wrote:
> Hey!
>
> I would like to ask. I did see a demonstration and it looks really nice.
> However, am I right in understanding that currently only several apps
> are really supported? And if this is true - is there an option of adding
> support for more apps?

The API is explained on this website: http://non.tuxfamily.org/nsm/API.html

Developers can build patches for their software to support NSM, as they
can do for JS and Ladish. At the moment only non-daw, non-seq, non-mixer
and yoshimi (patch available).

Atm their are more applications with JS support (Ladish supports ladi,
JS and NSM): http://tangostudio.tuxfamily.org/en/packages/unstable
But the development of JackSession API has more or less stopped because
of the fact that Torben has no time for Linuxaudio atm. Also it's not
realistic to expect many efforts from Paul in this area.

Moreover, NSM seems to have features JS lacks, but which could be a plus
when it comes to workflow (stop session, copy session, more easy to add
apps without session support into the session, possible to add apps
without JACK support to the session).
Also some people (Fons, Liles, Nedko) think that JS has it's limitations
and therefore they don't support it (Fons, Liles). NSM could gain wider
support probably.

At first sight, NSM looks to me more promising then JS does, e.g. it has
more chance to become really useful and to get broad support in the
community (from the 'modular diehards'). But this is just a personal
feeling/ thought. If this is really the case, depends on the view of the
LAD community.

\r