Re: [LAD] HDSP 9652 and Behringer ADA8000

From: Giso Grimm <gg3137@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Mar 29 2012 - 22:09:26 EEST

On 03/28/2012 11:42 PM, Giso Grimm wrote:
> On 03/28/2012 11:25 PM, Adrian Knoth wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 09:03:24PM +0000, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
>>
>> [ADA-8000]
>>> other in 6U rack - just 1U space at the top and bottom.
>>> Three of them were fried. You only know when the damage
>>> is done.
>>
>> I've just replaced a broken capacitor in an ADA-8000's power supply
>> yesterday.
>
> the same happend here once.
>
> [...complaints on reliability...]
>
> Until now I had no problems with the outputs of the ADA8000.
>
> Recently I made a recording (lute & singing), partly with ADA8000,
> partly with RME Micstasy, both with the same Neumann mics, and I could
> barely hear the difference...

Here you might listen, the same piece, same musicians, same place, same
mics (Neumann KM184 pair), same positions, same lute (although it was at
the luthier for repair in between), one was four month later, the words
were changed a bit. Please guess which was ADA8000 and which was Micstasy:

http://vegri.net/come_shadow.wav
http://vegri.net/come_shape.wav

(7 MB each)

>> No idea if there's more to break, though. ;)

yes there is, I just discovered while preparing those files :-( If you
drive all outputs near maximum amplitude simultaneously (-1.5 dB FS),
the power supply seems to break down, and you hear buzzes (following the
peaks of your music). If I take down a few channels everything is fine.
All outputs are connected to the inputs of a Presonus HP60.

Cheers,

Giso