Re: [LAD] HDSP 9652 and Behringer ADA8000

From: Giso Grimm <gg3137@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Mar 29 2012 - 23:51:57 EEST

On 03/29/2012 10:28 PM, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 09:09:26PM +0200, Giso Grimm wrote:
>
>> Here you might listen, the same piece, same musicians, same place, same
>> mics (Neumann KM184 pair), same positions, same lute (although it was at
>> the luthier for repair in between), one was four month later, the words
>> were changed a bit. Please guess which was ADA8000 and which was Micstasy:
>>
>> http://vegri.net/come_shadow.wav
>> http://vegri.net/come_shape.wav
>>
>> (7 MB each)

>> yes there is, I just discovered while preparing those files :-( If you
>> drive all outputs near maximum amplitude simultaneously (-1.5 dB FS),
>> the power supply seems to break down, and you hear buzzes (following the
>> peaks of your music). If I take down a few channels everything is fine.
>
> I wonder, what is the link between preparing those files (which
> should not involve anything except editing and maybe getting the
> levels equal, i.e. no hardware involved at all), and that discovery ?

no link at all, it just happened to be noticed then (only that I boosted
the levels to reach near fullscale), and I used to have other default
hdspmixer settings.

> Anyway, this is still an 'easy' test, it doesn't stretch the
> hardware to any limits at all.

Sure, that is the reason why I cut the silence away - there you can hear
clear differences.

> The difference between the Behringer and the Micstasy is not
> about 'audio quality' in the sense of frequency response,
> distortion, etc. It would take really bad engineering to get
> those so bad that it would matter.
>
> It is all about technical qualities that *do* matter if things
> get a bit more difficult: hum levels, noise levels, the ability
> to change the mic gain while recording without any risk and by
> a defined amount, resistance to RF and mains interference, being
> able to supply stable phantom power on all inputs, etc. etc.

I totally agree, my B.s drove me almost crazy several times. For
concerts (where I need 3 of them) I always have a spare one reachable.

> Try recording a contemporary music concert on location, with
> percussion ranging from barely audible scratches to a bing bang,
> and voices switching between whispering and screaming in a matter
> of seconds. This sort of thing even takes a Micstasy or an Aphex
> 1778A to its limits. Your B. will fail miserably.

I did that as well a few weeks ago, and by B. failed :-)

Right now I don't have additional 4kEUR just for reliability, that's why
I still use my B.s (except when I can borrow a Micstasy), but I cannot
wait the day when I say good bye to them...

Giso