Re: [LAD] NSM - handling large files

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Mar 30 2012 - 23:53:26 EEST

On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 09:07:07PM +0200, Lieven Moors wrote:

> Would there be anything against using hard links?

A hard link makes the file pointed to part of the session
directory, just as moving or copying the file would. There
is no difference between a hard link and the original - both
are hard links. So such a file is no longer recognisable as
'external' and the choice of including it or not in an archive
or a copy no longer exists. That defeats the original purpose
which is to have this choice.

Apart from that, hard links are possible only within the
same file system. There are good reasons to keep big audio
files etc. on a separate one. That in itself is a motivation
for 'external' data in first place. I don't want hundreds of
Gigabytes of audio files on my /home partition, let alone in
my home directory.

Ardour makes this mistake of creating hard links if by chance
it happens to be possible, and even if the user explicitly
expressed his/her choice to keep a file out of the session
directory. It's inconsistent and unreliable behaviour and
only creates problems.

Ciao,

--
FA