Re: [LAD] NSM - handling large files

From: Emanuel Rumpf <xbran@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Apr 02 2012 - 23:05:16 EEST

Am 2. April 2012 21:22 schrieb J. Liles <malnourite@email-addr-hidden>:

> Personally, I'm fine with having large files in my session
> directories. In fact, that's exactly where I want them.

> Why would one
> want to duplicate a session with a lot of pre-recorded audio?
Maybe with recorded audio, you wouldn't
- although maybe you would (see below).

If you work with samples, OTHO, why would you
want the (same!) samples to be stored in the sessions folder
and even in duplications ?
To waste some space ?

> And,
> anyway, this could be made to work by just storing that common audio
> wherever you want and making 'external' references to it in the
> session

That was our conclusion for using symlinks.
The clients would be advised, to create them
in "../nsm-session/external-file-links/"

> (and hopefully the application involved uses the symlink
> technique we've discussed for referring to external files)--all
> without the SM having to know anything about it.

right

> ..., except that I think it
> should be the user deciding where things are stored rather than
> individual applications.

Most applications allow that anyway, and if not - it would not hurt much
to change this.

> Remember, you can always write a simple shell script

We can always create shell scripts for anything,
but aren't we talking about some kind of "management" !?

NSM has some nice rules already, to make things behave smooth.
Now add a few sensible rules, to make sure that
audio-file management works equally well.

These are really very simple points, I say.

example:
- clients MUST create symlinks for all external files used - in the
directory "../session/external-file-links/"
- clients are ADVISED to store large-files in "/nsm/large-files/" (and
create symlinks for them as in previous point)

> I think this is very much a corner case anyway.

I think no, but very much depends on personal work-flow.

I use to do different Versions of _the same_ project,
with some minor or major differences.
So my workflow would be:
- create a session
- if happy with a state, duplicate
- continue work with the duplicate.

since many/most files stay the same, there is no reason
to copy the files over different session directories.

--
E.R.