Re: [LAD] jackmixdesk undefined references

From: Adrian Knoth <adi@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Apr 19 2012 - 20:32:11 EEST

On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 07:09:52PM +0200, Ulrich-Lorenz Schlüter wrote:

> > install libphat-dev package (if ubuntu)
> >
> > post output of
> >
> > ls /usr/lib/libph*
> > ls /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libph*
> >
> > cat /etc/ld.so.conf
> > cat /etc/ld.so.conf.d/*
> >
> I need a resizeable phat knob for my project, jackmixdesk.

Glad you mention this. Right after posting the same mail three times in
a row. ;)

> I want to make my this project available for all users without
> fumbling, so I don't want a dependency on the development package of
> phat.

Speaking with my Debian hat on, I suggest you simply specify any
external requirements in the README and trust the distribution to get it
right.

The other approach is to use an embedded copy of phat, but we (Debian)
usually don't like this approach and would probably strip it anyway.

There are pros and cons to embedded copies:

   + known to work
   + easy installation, since self-contained

   - increased memory footprint
   - additional maintenance overhead (e.g., security fixes)

> Phat dev is even uninstallable for gentoo right now.

Tell them, and they'll fix it. If nobody knows about this, it would
remain broken forever.

Just my €0.02

--
mail: adi@thur.de  	http://adi.thur.de	PGP/GPG: key via keyserver