Re: [LAD] SMPTE and jackd

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri May 11 2012 - 15:35:32 EEST

On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 10:32 PM, Jens M Andreasen
<jens.andreasen@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-05-08 at 11:21 -0400, Paul Davis wrote:
>
>> first of all, MTC is not a particularly reliable protocol unless you
>> can dedicate the equivalent of a MIDI cable to it. its data rate gets
>> close to the serial MIDI limit,
>
> Using MTC quarterframe messages uses no more than 240 bytes/second, less
> than 1/10th of the bandwidth:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIDI_timecode#Quarter-frame_messages

i fully retract my statement. i totally misremembered the quote from
the MTC spec, and didn't redo the math. I think my memory was led
astray by the comment in the spec "Also, in the typical MTC systems we
have imagined it would be rare that normal MIDI and MTC would share
the same MIDI bus at the same time". But you're absolutely right, it
uses less than 10% of the bandwidth and I was totally wrong about
this.