Re: [LAD] Plugin buffer size restrictions

From: David Robillard <d@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon May 28 2012 - 01:33:25 EEST

On Sun, 2012-05-27 at 19:56 +0000, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> On Sun, May 27, 2012 at 01:19:36PM -0400, David Robillard wrote:
>
> > However, doing it for pay is professionally dishonest. When you are
> > paid to report on something as an expert, you are supposed to set a
> > higher bar for yourself than mailing list trolls. While the buffer size
> > analysis is fine (as expected, since this is something the author
> > *actually* knows something about), the conclusions drawn about the API
> > itself are simply wrong and serve only to illustrate a fundamental lack
> > of understanding about the most basic principles of the thing,
>
> The buffer size issue is the only one mentioned in the excerpt
> from my report that I quoted. Everything else, good or bad, about
> LV2 that I may have written or not written is just the product of
> your imagination. Which I can assure yout gets its mostly wrong -
> my overall conclusion was not negative at all.

Forgive me if I can only extrapolate from what I have seen: a constant
stream of FUD and endless criticism.

I am at least glad - if surprised - to hear there was anything else in
there.

> Judging from the (quite limited) feedback I got on my report,
> what you present as an inevitable quality of the whole LV2
> project - things are 'designed' iteratively and as the result
> of a lot of social interaction - is what scared off my customer.

That's what FUD is meant to do. It worked.

> This is not what you need if you want to launch a product in a
> determined time and commit yourself to support it. An idealist
> may do that, a company wanting to make a profit and survive for
> some time won't.

What you need is an API that actually does what you need. Period.

You argue as if it would be better if it was *guaranteed* that it can
*not* do what the product needs.

You're comparing *real* technology with hypothetical perfect *fantasies*
that do not exist - could not ever exist - and claim that the *real*
thing is the victim of blind idealism.

Well, what can I say? Out here in actual reality it's pretty clear
what's pragmatic and what's blind idealism.

/me pushes a key on his keyboard

I love the sound of code in the morning. Sounds like victory.

-dr