[LAD] samples/symlinks/sessions

From: James Morris <james@email-addr-hidden-art.net>
Date: Fri Jul 13 2012 - 17:57:37 EEST

Hi,

My sampler app has Non Session Mangement implemented but is currently
still referring to external files by their original path.

I want to use the symlink method as discussed fairly extensively here
but I'd like to know if there is any recommended strategy for naming
the symlink of a sample.

It could so happen that as far as the filesystem is concerned the only
discerning uniqueness between two samples is in the path (ie
kit1/snare1.wav and kit2/snare1.wav).

I've come up with three possible solutions to this (in my current order
of preference):

1) symlink-to-sample created in a subdir named using a hash* of the
full path to external file

2) painstakingly re-create the full path within the session dir and add
the symlink into that.

3) some horrible text manipulation of the full path (ie replace / with
_) that is bound to fail.

* J. Liles mentioned SHA1 here:
  http://linuxaudio.org/mailarchive/lad/2012/3/30/189343

Are there other/better options or disagreements about (1) being a good
choice over the other options I've presented?

cheers,
james.