Re: [LAD] [ann] out now petri-foo 0.1.85 / NSM

From: rosea.grammostola <rosea.grammostola@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Aug 01 2012 - 12:07:12 EEST

On 08/01/2012 03:30 AM, James Morris wrote:
> On 30/07/12 "rosea.grammostola"<rosea.grammostola@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>> On 07/30/2012 03:12 AM, James Morris wrote:
>>
>>> (1.0) Non Session Management support
>>
>> Nice to see a dev who's taking this up. Session management a 'must
>> have' for jack standalone applications and imho NSM is the best option
>> for this.
>
> Woohoo there is now a grand total of 5 apps supporting it:
> http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/apps/categories/nsm

I count 7, but yeah despite your sarcasm, that's good news indeed,
that's already more support then LASH had in it's first days.

But the nice and essential thing about NSM is that it's support apps
without a state, and apps without NSM support via nsm-proxy.
Moreover NSM-proxy supports Ladish level 1 also.

> LASH failed despite 26 apps supporting it:
> http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/apps/all/lash

The problem with LASH is that it has obvious (technical) flaws. Session
managers today are much better. Imo NSM has a great technical design,
with advantages compared to other session api's and without (essential)
technical flaws.

If you think that all the apps apps.linuxaudio.org will support a
session api, then you're not very realistic. That's why it's essential
that NSM support apps without NSM support and apps without a state in a
user friendly way.

> Just not enough developers with free time and brain cells not owned by
> their employers to make it work.

That's not totally true. If you count all the apps with a form of
session management support, you can't really blame their efforts. On the
other hand, it's true: session management seems to be primarily a users
problem not a developers problem, unfortunately.

It's kind of a pity that NSM was released not earlier. Because of other
session api's, devs are hesitated to add NSM support, but I'm confident
that this will change soon.

Speaking for myself, I start *all* the linuxaudio applications I use
(with NSM support or via NSM-proxy) in NSM, because it works. And that's
why I am optimistic, it's just great that all those years we have
something that just works! :)

Best regards,
\r