Re: [LAD] Floating point Denormals: C++ and Waf

From: Harry van Haaren <harryhaaren@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Aug 02 2012 - 23:56:51 EEST

Thanks all for the replies, I've certainly learnt a lot.

On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 9:11 PM, Tim Goetze <tim@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> I think it's almost always a better idea to add an inaudible DC offset
> or a square wave at the block interval or at Nyquist

How small is inaudible? Or better yet, how small is way beyond inaudible,
but enough to eliminate any denormals?

The other problem is locating exactly where the problem exists: I'm using
Faust <http://faust.grame.fr/> to generate the reverb DSP code, so
injecting DC offset would involve me tinkering with the reverb algorithm.
I'd prefer leave it alone, but the outputs of the reverb can be DC-offseted
easily. I don't think that would be enough... since the denormals could /
would also exist internally in the reverb algo?

@Robin:
Unfortunatly I'm in a little over my head with the CPU stuff, but i tried
adding the suggested `-msse -mfpmath=sse` to the CFLAGS, no change. I'm
running an Intel Core2Duo 64bit machine, so Im pretty sure it has SSE etc
etc..

-Harry