Re: [LAD] LV2 standalone / Session support / (Vee One)

From: David Robillard <d@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Aug 07 2012 - 01:22:45 EEST

On Tue, 2012-08-07 at 00:02 +0200, rosea.grammostola wrote:
[...]
> Why does every developer makes his own little single instance host for
> his standalone version of the LV2 plugins? Why isn't there a standard
> single-instance LV2 host which can be used by all the developers for
> their standalone versions of the LV2 plugins they make? A small host,
> devs can link to and which works like some kind of run-time dependency
> of the standalone version. Didn't have DSSI some kind of system like that?

This is why I wrote Jalv[1]. It is the closest thing to an LV2
reference implementation there is.

However it is not some weird thing you 'link' to (this idea is weird),
but just a normal program that runs one LV2 plugin as it if was a Jack
application. No need for funny business.

As far as session management (which is really an orthogonal issue
despite your NSM fanboyism), it currently supports Jack session only.
Support for something else may be added in the future assuming it
doesn't bloat the program too much. Patches are welcome; session
management is not a particularly high priority for me right now, nor is
it likely to be any time soon.

It is indeed silly to make application versions of every plugin, but it
is only recently that we've had plugin tech that is (generally) powerful
enough to do this, or an appropriate host, which is still quite fresh.
'Pragmatic' developers therefore still sometimes make Jack applications,
but the incentives for doing this are slowly but surely dying.

-dr

[1] http://drobilla.net/software/jalv