Re: [LAD] Plugin 1/oct frequency controls (AMS/MCP/VCO)

From: Thorsten Wilms <t_w_@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Aug 22 2012 - 11:27:40 EEST

On 08/22/2012 01:50 AM, David Robillard wrote:
> 1) Fork these plugins and add a tuning frequency port, in Hz, which
> makes the current reality of them using absolute octave signals go away.
> The avwlv2 project will have to adjust the ported AMS modules likewise.
> Though your plugins do not currently do this, you now seem to think this
> is the correct solution?
>
> 2) Define an absolute unit in octaves with a standard, absolute, center
> frequency. This is current reality, except the "define" part, and the
> 'standard' is a weird frequency.

I would prefer 1), because 1/octave might be useful for modulation, but
just complicates matters if the task at hand is setting an oscillator to
a specific frequency.

One could even argue that oscillators should not have 1/octave ports at
all, but that there should be a plugin that takes a 1/octave modulation
input, a Hz base input and delivers a resulting Hz output. The DRY
principal applied to plugins.

Even for modulation, a plugin/infrastructure that allows the user to map
any value range to a frequency modulation range in semitones could be
far friendlier and does not necessarily need 1/octave behind the scenes.

I doubt consistency with the original plugins will matter in practice at
all. The added workload for you sucks, of course and only you can weight
that aspect of it, David.

--
Thorsten Wilms
thorwil's design for free software: